It’s been over two years since “LuneOS” was namedropped in a webOS Nation forum post. Since then, there have been 20 stable releases, and it is now on multiple devices, including the OG HP TouchPad and the Nexus 4. This month, the WebOS Ports team brings us Cafe Zorro, the latest stable release.
Some noteworthy changes and fixes in this release are that the TouchPad’s screen no longer turns off when it shouldn’t, and the browser’s full-screen mode works properly now. The team is still working on getting instant messaging services working, which takes plenty of back-end work. They note that progress has been made, though. It’s just not quite ready for daily usage. Of course, as with any release, there are some known issues. The splash screen disappears too quickly and Node-SQLite3 is currently not working. But, each release of LuneOS is one step closer to making your Nexus 4 a daily driver!
For information on how to contribute to this awesome project, head on over to PivotCE. Check out the complete changelog below or on PivotCE!
- Testr (org.webosports.app.testr): Differentiate between sounds for different tests.
- Phone (org.webosports.app.phone): Rename ApplicationWindow to LuneOSWindow, Move the Ring management to a dedicated service, PhoneWindow: hide the IncomingCallAlert window when the call is ended, RingManager: little cleanup, Tests: move Meego.QOfono and org.nemomobile.voicecall to luneos-components, RingManager: get ringtone from preferences.
- C+DAV (org.webosports.service.contacts.carddav): Add access for all com.palm.* apps (fixes issues with adding a C+Dav account from Calendar app).
- Browser (org.webosports.app.browser): Add proper fullscreen mode call to cardshell, Allow “about:”-urls, Rename ApplicationWindow to LuneOSWindow, Refactor code, Remove some useless top-level properties, Reorganize panels, Refactor SearchSuggestions related code, HistoryPanel: switch to Db8Model, AppTweaks: fix invalid tweaks key, Split util.js and create dedicate models for history & bookmarks, Move subcomponents in their own directory, There is no “states” on a Quick Window, Remaining fixes after refactoring, Fix suggestion list overlapping action tooltip, Fix size of cut/copy/paste tooltip, Also show search suggestions if default search is set, Fix fullscreen behavior after rework, NavigationBar: use onClicked instead of onPressed/onReleased, Use WebEngineView’s contextual menu, BrowserWebView: rely on WebEngine to open new cards, Cleanup unneeded js files, fixed behavior of progress bar after rework.
- Clock (core-apps, com.palm.app.clock): Minor code cleanup.
- FirstUse (org.webosports.app.firstuse): Show WiFiPage only on device with WiFi, Fix connecting to open networks from FirstUse, fix incorrect timezone selection & code cleanup, added time format selection & minor layout tweaks, fix handling for DST.
- Messaging (org.webosports.app.messaging): Add soundClass notifications for the notification so we have sound playback on incoming messages.
- luna-qml-launcher: Add $QT_IMPORT_QML/LunaWebEngineViewStyle as an import path to allow overloading of the QML definition of the UIDelegates of the WebEngineView instances.
- luneos-components: Use new luna://org.webosports.luna/enableFullScreenMode service, Add stub call for device info, Fix typo in battery_challenge, Rename ApplicationWindow to LuneOSWindow, Small fixes to remove warnings, Tests: move Meego.QOfono and org.nemomobile.voicecall to luneos-components, Tests: add hardcoded com.palm.db/find result for com.palm.browserpreferences:1, Db8Model: cancel running LS2 call upon destruction, QtWebEngine: add our overload of the WebEngineView UI Delegates, Components: remove useless ContextMenuExtras, Add proper results for com.palm.browserpreferences & region. Additional preference call stub results & timezone table update.
- luna-next-cardshell: Add a LS2 service enableFullScreenMode to let apps require fullscreen mode, CardView: fix fullscreen mode for apps, Add body to the notifications, close notifications after launching app, added clock to lockscreen, fixed banners showing incorrect : at the end.
- nyx-lib: Added systemd target file.
- nyx-modules: Wait for touchscreen device before reaching nyx.target.
- webos-systemd-services: LunaSysMgr: wait for nyx.target.
- qtwebengine-chromium: Update to latest from upstream (30-Aug-2016).
- qtwebengine: Update to latest from upstream Qt 5.6 (03-Sep-2016), fix crashes on new windows, added custom styled context menu.
- luna-next: Add fileUtils to check for existence of files from QML.
- FreeImage: Fix compatibility with GCC 6.0.
- luna-webappmanager: Implement PalmSystem.enableFullScreenMode.
- luna-sysservice: Fix typo in battery_challenge.
- imlibpurpleservice: Make getServiceNameFromCapabilityId generic, LibPurpleAdapter: remove conversions to and from Mojo-typed usernames, Add com.palm.config.libpurple db kind & permissions, Remove all hard-coded SERVICENAME_xxx occurrences, Add config management and refactor code, IMServiceHandler: merge implementations for onCreate and onDelete, Fix purple’s config dbkind
- messaging-accounts: Update templates to have onCreate and onDelete, cleanup of duplicate suffixes.
Image credit: Android Community